Info for Reading Groups – Sister
Discussion Points for Sister
- How would you compare and contrast Beatrice and Tess?
- Do you think that Beatrice changes throughout the course of the story and, if so, how?
- What are your thoughts on the structure of Sister and how do you think the different tenses and narrative techniques add to the overall effect of the story?
- In what ways does Sister explore fundamental human relationships? For example: the relationship between two sisters, a mother and a daughter, two lovers, doctor and patient etc.
- What is the central theme of the book and how did it resonate with you?
- Who is your favourite/least favourite character and how true did each of them feel?
- Did you agree with Beatrice in her determination to discover the truth, despite it driving those she loved away from her?
- There is much imagery in this story, such as the colour yellow, the sea etc. Can you explain why imagery is so important in the story and how
effective it is?
- There are a number of significant male characters in this story. In what ways did each of them aid or abet Beatrice and how suspicious of each of them were you?
- The ending of the story throws up a shocking twist. Did the ending work for you? How else do you feel the story could have ended?